Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Search

  I got my beloved Quinn in November of last year. It had been over three years since my last rabbit, Sen, whom I had spent nine years with had passed. Anyone who has had an animal for a companion will understand how completely and utterly crushing losing her was and still is. Getting another rabbit was completely out of the question.
  I am alone. I go to work and come home to hell and it is unbearable. So if I'm being honest, while I don't recall exactly when the idea of getting another rabbit started to grow in my mind a large part of it had to do with the loneliness. However, I didn't want to get a bunny for my needs alone. Could I afford to have a one? Yes, now I could, it was a viable possibility. Would I be able to take on the care pf a one given my poor health? This was a tough one. I spent a lot of time going over and over and over this and decided that the benefits of having company, someone, to love and take care of and to return that would help my health more than hurt it.
  Still, even though I was in a situation where I could accommodate a rabbit I still had that niggling thought, It's not Sen.
  Then, I don't know what happened. One night I was sitting at my laptop and thought I would look up breeders in my area as I always get what I call "show duds". Everyone breeder around me bred Flemish Giants, which, if you don't know, are the largest breed of rabbit. While it has been a dream of mine to own one, there was no way I would afford or accommodate one in my small space. I continued searching and found a breeder near-ish me who breeds both Flemish Giants and Harlequins. Harlequins are beautiful rabbits and I have always wanted one and I have to admit it felt a little magical having come across that. Feeling satisfied that tere was a breeder I could get a bunny from whenever I was ready I closed the browser.
  But shortly after I thought it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with the breeder and get a feel for her and her rabbits. So I got back on the computer and sent off an email inquiring about any doe (female) show flops she might have.
  I received a reply the next day saying she had a magpie Harlequin doe that needed a home. I was ecstatic. I thought it wouldn't hurt to go see the bun and we went back and forth to find a day to meet up. During this, she sent me a couple of photos of the rabbit and I was so, so happy. Happier than I had been in so long. The second I so those photos I knew what her name was and that she was coming home with me. I finally convinced myself that I was kidding myself if I thought I was still "just looking".
  I set up the rabbit cage in my room and bought bedding and feed and looked at the empty cage with bubbling happiness rather than a crushing sadness.
  There was a brief scare when another person was interested as well but my fears were allayed when I was able to put a sort of claim payment on her. So, I was in love with the rabbit, she was payed for and all I had to do now was go pick her up.
  Easier said than done.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment